Articles, Blog, Fat Loss, Nutrition

5 Food Swaps That Kill Belly Fat Fast

Wowzers!

I just got back from the grocery store, Whole Foods and nearly broke the bank.  I haven’t bought any groceries in a while because I’ve been traveling so much (Florida and Vegas), so I was WAY overdo for some food stocking.

Want to know what I bought from the grocery store?  Sorry, but insider secrets only!

Totally joking, I’ll be glad to share it with you.

So I of course picked up the everyday healthy stuff such as fruits and vegetables (the greener the better) but I also grabbed some healthier options of foods that most people buy everyday.

You’re probably saying, “what the heck is this guy talking about?”

You see there’s a lot foods out there that people buy and think they’re pretty healthy but I go the extra mile and do food swaps for even healthier options.  These small changes can do A LOT to kill belly fat and they’re still pretty darn tasty.  Before we go further, if you’re looking to lose belly fat fast in 1 week take a quick peep at my 7 Day Belly Blast Diet Review.

Here are my 5 favorite food swaps that will kill belly fat fast.

#1 While most people pick up bacon for their breakfasts, most people know that it isn’t a real healthy meal.  But instead of ole’ fashioned pig bacon I go with the muchhealthierturkey bacon option.

But not just any turkey bacon I’m going hardcore and getting the 97% fat free, all natural, free of preservatives, nitrates, nitrites and antibiotics.  I’m a HUGE fan of the Wellshire Farms turkey bacon and it really tastes great and it’ll also help kill your belly fat too.

#2 Ezekiel breads are my new favorite thing and I’ve been picking them up instead of going with the traditional 100% Whole Wheat bread and English muffins.  And Whole Wheat is still BOATLOADS better than white flour breads but Ezekiel is king.

It’s organic and sprouted meaning it has more valuable nutrients and it’s not derived from flour.  They’re also great for people who have gluten sensitivities, but keep in mind you have to get the special “gluten free” versions if you’re allergic to gluten.

#3 Almond butter is awesome and kicks peanut butters butt in my opinion.  Natural peanut butter is pretty good for you when used within moderation, but almond butter can kill your belly fat on a whole ‘nother level!

Almond butter has a lot more nutrients than the old school peanut butter including calcium, iron and vitamin E.  Almond butter also has 50% more monounsaturated fats (the same that kill belly fat ) and also has 25% saturated fats than peanut butter.

#4 I’ve also begun replacing most of the grains such as brown rice and oatmeal with quinoa.  Quinoa was once called “the gold of the Incas” and they saw it’s huge value going through the roof with the stamina of their warriors.

Quinoa is not only high in protein, but it’s a perfect protein meaning it has all the 9 essential amino acids.  It’s also loaded with magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus…not to mention it’s a terrific source of fiber.

#5 If you’re like most of America you probably caught on to the whole Vitamin Water phase, heck I did too.  And even though Vitamin Water has a good amount of nutrients and vitamins it is also loaded with sugar.

In my video, Is Vitamin Water Good For You? I give you the low down on why it’s not the healthiest choice because of its high sugar content, even though the sugar is a higher quality, less processed kind.  Instead I go with the stevia based Vitamin Water Zero which tastes just as good in my opinion but doesn’t use any artificial sweeteners.

In fact, I’ve been trying to completely switch out my sugar for more natural sweeteners.  I’ve even started taking low sugar supplements such as the ones I talk about in my Prograde nutrition review.

So these have been my top 5 food swaps to kill belly fat and next time you go grocery shopping think of this blog post.  Even though I couldn’t possibly cover every different food swap, I hope you look even deeper and discover your own different ones.

If you do please leave a comment below, I’d love to hear from you.

If you’re looking to keep taking your nutrition game to another level watch this video from my friend Isabel where she reveals her Top 5 Foods For a Flat Belly:

If you liked this article, please click the “Like” button below!

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Josh Schlottman
Load More In Articles

11 Comments

1. IgoR

October 25, 2010 at 2:42 am

Great article Josh as always! 😉 I was wondering about match Almond butter vs. Peanut butter,who would win.

I got one question for you…I’ve prepared few times for breakfast : 1 whole egg,2 whites,1/2 cup of oatmeal & flax seeds,with spices chilli powder,origano,black papper and cinnamon.I was wondering is that quality strong breakfast with quality proteins,fibers etc…?

2. Josh Schlottman

October 25, 2010 at 7:44 am

Thanks Igor! It looks good to me Igor but maybe use the full eggs instead of the egg whites. You’re missing out on half the protein + nutrients!

3. IgoR

October 25, 2010 at 10:28 am

I know I’m missing it , that why I asked.Because I was thinking if combinatin of 2whole eggs , 1/2 cup of oatmeal & flax seeds,etc…would be high calories breakfast 😛 I have few times eaten it with 2 eggs and ofc I felt much satisfied for a longer period… 😉 Plus fibers got me great digest for food from last day 😛

Best regards , and keep it up! 😉

4. DMarie

October 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Hello Josh! Great article, I especially enjoyed it since I am a fan of all the products listed. I had a question on the quinoa flakes. Do you have any recipes and/or what ways do you use the flakes? I picked up the same box as you a month ago and have yet to have any good uses for other than sprinkling it on top of greek yogurt. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    DMarie

• Josh Schlottman

October 26, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Hey DMarie, unfortunately I’m pretty bad in the kitchen when it comes to cooking skills! If I were you I would try to Google around and see what you can find. I usually just throw in some cinnamon and fresh berries to “sweeten” it up. Hope that helps…

5. Tom

October 26, 2010 at 11:12 am

Hi Josh!

1) what do you think about some fruits, 500ml cacao and 500ml coffee for breakfast?

2) I am not quite sure where I read it, but am I right with the impression, that you favor carbohydrates after workout to carbohydrates before workout?
    do you recommend carbohydrates before workout at all?

I like your style!
    keep up the good work,
    Tom

• Josh Schlottman

October 26, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Hey Tom, i would try to throw in some protein into that breakfast. And you can eat more carbohydrates both first thing in the morning and immediately after your workout when your body is glycogen depleted. Thanks for the kind words!

6. DMarie

October 27, 2010 at 9:20 am

Thanks Josh!

7. Stephanie elise

February 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I find traditional dairy products really ‘mess’ with my system, so I like to opt for an ‘organic sheep’s milk’ yogurt instead. Its really a dessert in itself, and requires no sweetening or accompaniments even though it is unflavoured.
    And good news -- for those sensitive to lactose and casein, it is a favourable choice to cows milk products 🙂

8. mike

April 12, 2011 at 8:36 am

Aloha Josh:

I just came across your website and I really thought you did a nice job putting a lot of good information together in a way that’s easy to read.

I’m a Hawaii native on assignment in Korea -- currently working and studying full-time so I really need to keep up my fitness, otherwise I get complacent and lose my form.

I was wondering if you had any experiences using Tabata workouts, and, if so -- what worked best for you?

Best wishes,

Mike

• Josh Schlottman

April 14, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Hi Mike, I use tabata workouts all the time and I’ve found them to be very effective and they also don’t take up much time or equipment. I did a post a little while back called the 4 Minute Bodyweight Tabata Workout that I think you might like.