Searching for the best inner thigh exercises you can use to tone and strengthen your legs?
It can be incredibly frustrating to make progress with your weight loss and fat loss goals but your inner thighs won’t even budge.
Or maybe you’re a beginner just getting back into things who wants to make their thighs slimmer. The inside of the thighs are a problem area for many women.
Whatever it is you’re looking for when it comes to inner thigh toning exercises rest assured you’re going to find what you’re looking for here.
These inner thigh exercises and workout use very minimal equipment too so you don’t have to worry if you can only workout at home. And you don’t have to break out the 1980s Thigh Master to get results.
I know it can be frustrating to not know why you can’t seem to make progress on slimming your thighs. But here you’re going to find out how you can slim down the inside of your thighs with the best exercises possible.
How to Get Rid of Inner Thigh Fat
A lot of women who are trying to firm up their inner thighs will try to do so with lots of squats and lunges. And these thigh fat exercises will help to overall strengthen and tone the front and back of their legs. But to target your inner thigh muscles you’re going to have to do specific exercises for them.
Just doing standard leg exercises like squats, lunges, and step-ups won’t do a whole lot for firming up thighs. For many women, the inside of their thighs can remain jiggly even after strengthening their legs.
This is because the standard leg exercises don’t focus much on the inner part of the thigh muscles. So if you’re looking to slim the inside of your thighs then you have to find the right exercises to specifically target your thigh muscles.
What Causes Inner Thigh Fat?
For many women getting rid of their inner thigh fat can be flat-out the hardest.
This is due to a couple of reason but the biggest is genetics. Women have evolved over thousands of years to store excess weight in their hips and thighs for survival purposes.
Those women who held more weight in their hips and thighs were more likely to survive and thus pass their genes onto their offspring.
But nowadays having stubborn inner thigh fat can be unsightly for many women. And this is also what makes it the hardest to lose for many women who hold a lot of their excess weight in their hips and thighs.
Yet even if you do have the genetics for a pear-shaped body that doesn’t mean you’re doomed. There’s still hope for you!
How to Slim Your Inner Thighs
Now to a large extent, indeed, you can’t simply use “spot training” to get results on specific areas of your body. This is true especially if you have a lot of weight and excess fat to lose.
Fitness experts agree it’s best if you overall lose weight and fat throughout your entire body then your inner thighs will follow.
You can also use specific strength training exercises to help tone up the area as you lose fat throughout the rest of your body too. This is going to help you accelerate how fast you’re able to slim the inner part of your thighs.
Here’s a study finding participants were able to get results by combining cardio exercises with exercises targeted at a specific body part with strength training.
So if I were you I’d try combining these best inner thigh exercises along with high-intensity cardio. I’ve included a sample workout below for you too.
And there’s 100% truth in the saying that you can’t out-train a bad diet. So getting on a science-backed fat loss diet like The Flat Belly Formula will be key to getting rid of your thigh fat.
The breakthrough program designed to help you drop 10-30 pounds of excess stubborn fat, bloated water weight & "toxic waste" in a few short weeks.
- Drop 2 Jean Sizes in Less Than 2 Weeks
- Foolproof System to Get Rid of Thigh Fat, Hip Dips & Flabby Arms
- Flatten Your Belly and Lose Your Loves Handles Fast
Now it’s time to tone up those flabby inner thighs…
Inner Thigh Toning Exercise List
These exercises for this inner leg workout can be done virtually anywhere with minimal equipment. Here’s the equipment I used:
- workout mat
- slider (carpet or for hardwood floor)
- step box
- exercise ball (not used here but can help with balance)
- resistance band (can use instead of dumbbell)
- Thigh Master 3000… just kidding!
- To do a Lateral Lunge first stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Take a big step out with your left foot as you squat down with your right leg.
- Try to keep your chest up as you lower your butt.
- Stand back up and repeat on your right side.
- Sumo Squat is a better variation of the Goblet Squat to target the inner part of your thigh.
- Stand with your feet wider than hip width apart.
- While holding a dumbbell (or resistance band) in front of your body. Bend knees, lower your hips until your thighs are level with the floor.
Side Plank with Hip Flexion
- Get in a side plank position.
- Raise your hips up until your body forms a straight line.
- Then raise the knee of your bottom leg towards your chest like you’re about to step forward on a box.
- Slowly bring your foot back to starting position.
Copenhagen Hip Adduction
- Place your top foot on top of a step up box that’s about knee height.
- Keep your top leg straight as you raise your hips up off the ground.
- Keep your lower back in a straight line with your shoulder and top leg.
- Bring your bottom leg up towards your hip.
- Hold for the desired time.
Offset Curtsy Lunge
- Curtsy Lunge is a variation of a Reverse Lunge.
- Hold a dumbbell in your right arm (or can use a resistance band) at chest level and stand with your feet together and toes pointed foward.
- Take a large step back with your left leg and slowly lower it back back behind your right leg.
- Try to increase your range of motion by getting your knee on your left leg low to the ground.
Side-Lying Hip Adduction
- Lay on your side and put your right leg back with your left leg forward.
- Raise up your right leg towards the sky.
- Make sure to keep your lower back straight throughout the movement.
Lateral Slide Outs
- First stand with your feet hip width apart with one foot underneath a slider.
- Then push the foot with the slider out and be sure to keep your leg straight.
- Bend you other knee as you go down in the squat position.
- Make sure to keep your toes straight throughout the exercise.
- After you return to the start position repeat on the other side.
- this exercise is a variation of the Lateral Lunge.
- Stand with your feet in a big wide stance in the starting position in a much wider stance than your feet hip width apart.
- Bend knees as your do a side-to-side lunge.
- Stay low and keep your knees bent as you alternate sides to increase range of motion.
Medicine Ball Hip Bridges
- To get in the starting position first lay on your back while squeezing a medicine ball between your knees. Your knees should be about hip width apart.
- Point your toes up to the sky then raise your hips up off the floor.
- Pause at the top and squeeze your cheeks.
- After you return to the start position repeat.
- Skater Plyos will get your heart pumping! First stand with your feet hip width apart to get in the starting position.
- Jump out to your left side landing on your outside foot of your left leg.
- The inner trailing right leg should swing back behind your foot on the ground.
- Then jump to the other side landing on your right leg. As you balance on your right leg allow your trailing left leg to swing behind your foot on the ground.
- Try to keep your toes pointed straight ahead through the exercise.
Inner Thigh Workout
So now it’s time to put it together for a workout routine since you know what causes inner thigh fat and the best exercises to tone them up.
This workout uses both high-intensity cardio combined with targeting specific exercises for the inner thigh muscles.
Keep in mind this is just one example workout for your inner thighs…
A1. Jump Rope 3×30 sec.
A2. Lateral Lunges 3×8/side
A3. Sumo Squats 3×12
B1. Step Sprints 3×20
B2. Side Plank w/Hip Flexion 3x20sec./side
B3. Cossack Squats 3×12
C1. Mountain Climbers 3×20
C2. Offset Curtsy Lunges 3×12
C3. Jumping Jacks 3×20
C4. Lateral Slide Outs 3×8/side
How do you get rid of inner thigh fat?
You’re going to have to lose fat and flabby weight throughout your entire body then your inner legs will follow. Then you can combine high-intensity cardio exercise with exercises that target your inner thighs like the workout in the example above.
Does walking tone your inner thighs?
It’s going to be better to walk than it is to sit on the couch all day. But at the same time, I wouldn’t expect walking to work wonders for toning your inner thigh muscles. You will be able to slim your thighs much faster by dieting, and with the workouts like the one above.
The Last Word
I know it can feel like it’s almost impossible to get rid of the stubborn jiggly fat on your inner thighs. But by using the 10 best inner thigh exercises and workout above you’ll be able to make faster progress than you thought.
It’s mostly true you can’t spot reduce but you can still tone up the area as you lose fat throughout the rest of your body. This is going to give you much better results and faster too.
Yet when you start to use these best exercises for inner thighs you’ll be able to tone up and strengthen them faster whether you’re at the gym or at home.
Josh holds a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Science. He’s a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association and he’s a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) by American Council on Exercise. He’s worked as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the high school and college levels. He has over 15 years of experience as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. He is also the author of The Flat Belly Formula. He strives to bring inspiration and results for people to live healthier lives through smart diet and exercise.