If you’re looking for the best exercises to burn belly fat then you come to the right place. Belly fat can be the most frustrating area to lose fat and it’s usually the last to go.
You’ll find a lot of people in the gym today focusing their workouts on losing their stubborn belly fat. Not only is abdominal fat unflattering, but it is also very bad for your health. Belly fat can not only make you feel self-conscious but it’s linked to serious chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and even some cancers.
Earning your flat belly is something you should be proud of. But those with belly fat know just how stubborn it can be to get rid of. Sit-ups and crunches will add some muscle to your abdominals but they won’t burn off your belly fat since spot reduction doesn’t work very well.
It’s frustrating trying to figure out what exercises really work for getting rid of your belly fat. Doing more cardio like going on walks and jogging around the neighborhood isn’t going to get you the results you want either. With the following best stomach fat burning exercises, you’ll be well on your way to toned and flat abs.
Keep going to discover the top 10 best exercises you can do today to burn your belly fat the fastest.
Table of Contents
How to Burn Belly Fat With Exercises
Spot training doesn’t work and all the planks in the world aren’t going to help to get rid of your belly fat. You can still do ab workouts to help tone up the area. But you shouldn’t expect the excess fat to come off your abs by doing them. You’ll need to use other more effective methods to burn the fat off your belly.
This study found six weeks of abdominal training had no effect on waist circumference or the amount of fat on the participant’s abs. There are different kinds of belly fat known as subcutaneous and visceral (1).
Subcutaneous fat is the fat that is right underneath your skin that you can pinch with your fingers. Visceral belly fat is the kind that builds up around your stomach and your organs. This is the dangerous kind linked to heart disease, diabetes, and some cancers (2,3).
To get rid of your belly fat completely you’re going to want to get rid of both of these kinds of abdominal fat. You can’t get a flat stomach if you have one or the other.
Usually, when you just have a little bit of belly fat it’s subcutaneous (the less dangerous kind). But if you have a large amount of belly fat then you probably have both subcutaneous and visceral abdominal fat. Either way, you’re going to have to get rid of both kinds to flatten your stomach all the way.
But doing more cardio exercises isn’t going to be the answer if your goal is to burn stomach fat. Weight loss will only get you part of the way but it’s not going to be the solution to losing those last stubborn pounds of belly fat.
Why You’re Not Losing Belly Fat
The usual reason why people aren’t able to burn stomach fat is that they’re just focused on weight loss. If you just lose weight then you’ll also be losing muscle mass which won’t change your body fat percentage.
When most are trying to get rid of their belly they focus mostly on cardio exercises like running, walking, biking, etc. And this is good too but you’re not really going to be moving the needle when it comes to improving your body composition. Your body composition is your ratio of muscle to fat.
As you lose weight you’ll also be lowering your muscle mass unless you’re strength training. This can result in you becoming “skinny fat.” This is when you appear to be thin but actually have high body fat. This is why you see some people that look skinny but actually still have a potbelly.
The best way to lose your belly pooch with exercise is to focus on those that are going to burn more calories while adding lean muscle. If you just do cardio workouts then this is going to be really hard to do. You should at the very least be adding in these belly fat burning exercises too.
Your diet is also going to play a major role in getting rid of your abdominal fat. There’s a saying amongst us trainers that “you can’t out-train a bad diet.” The best method I’ve found for slimming down the stubborn ab fat is to use a combination of Intermittent Fasting and Keto cycling. Just fast for 12-16 hours in the morning starting after your last meal the night before. Then take MCTs that convert to ketones signaling for your body to start burning fat for fuel. The most efficient MCTs you can get are in Keto Elevate.
How To Lose Belly Fat With Exercise
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts are a much more effective way to target your belly fat. Studies have found it’s more effective for fat burning around the abdominal area (4). It will also increase your heart rate and boost your overall fat burning.
eThis meta-analysis in the Journal of Obesity found High-Intensity Interval Training to be more effective for losing belly fat (5). The exercises below are effective at burning stomach fat as their cause and Afterburn Effect in your body.
This is when your body continues to keep burning fat well after you finish the workout. This will allow you to burn more fat not only off your belly from the rest of your body as well.
It’s known as the EPOC aka Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption. Studies have found it can cause your body to burn fat up to 48 hours after you finished your workout (6).
Slow-go traditional cardio isn’t the best method to burn off your belly fat. Instead, use a High-Intensity Training Workout along with the exercises below. Traditional cardio works okay for losing visceral belly fat, but the methods below are much more effective (7).
Make sure you stay consistent with the exercises below to ensure you keep your belly fat off. This study found those who kept exercising better prevented them from regaining the belly fat that they had lost (8). Consistency is key!
With the exercises below, you’ll notice they use weight resistance combined with cardio. You’ll be challenging multiple muscle groups in your body while elevating your heart rate.
To shred stomach fat fast you’re going to have to increase the intensity of your exercises. The belly burning exercises below will do the trick.
10 Best Exercises to Lose Belly Fat
- Begin the standing position. Squat down until your hand touch to floor in front of your toes.
- Shoot your feet back rapidly from the push-up position as you bring your chest to the ground.
- Press yourself back up while rapidly shooting your knees back up to the starting position. Then jump up and press the dumbbells over your head.
- Grab a kettlebell that is a challenging weight for you and place it between your legs about where your toes are. Squat down and grabbed the kettlebell and lift it up off the floor. Bring it into the standing position keeping your back straight at all times.
- Then slightly lean forward until your upper body reaches a 45° angle. Then rapidly shoot your hips forward to propel the kettlebell up. As the kettlebell begins to come back down keep your back straight, abs tight, and repeat the process.
- If you don’t have a kettlebell then you can use a heavy dumbbell instead. Hold it from one end and swing it the same as you would the kettlebell.
- Start off in the push-up position with your hands under your shoulders and your body straight with your abs tight. Rapidly shoot your knees forward until they nearly reach your elbows. Then shoot your feet rapidly back to the starting position. This is one repetition.
- You can also use some Valslides underneath your feet for less impact on your joints.
- Raise a treadmill to a 20 or 30° angle. Turn up the treadmill until it reaches a level that is about an 8/10 on your difficulty scale.
- Sprint on the treadmill for 20 to 40 seconds before grabbing the handrails and lifting yourself off to the side while you rest. When your rest time is over lift yourself back off the sides of the treadmill and began sprinting again.
- Be careful with lifting yourself up and down as it could become easy to slip and you could definitely end up injuring yourself.
- Better yet you could find a hill outdoors and sprint up that instead. There is a local park near my house I’ll sprint up 10 times as fast as I can. It’s the best belly fat burning workout you could ever get.
- Find a jump rope that is of adequate length so you don’t end up hitting your feet or shins too easily while jumping.
- Jump up off the ground so your feet go 1 to 2 inches into the air. Swing the jump rope around you so clear your feet with each revolution around your body.
- Try to go for a minute on with the jumping rope with a minute off for rest.
- Grab a pair of light dumbbells and punch them into the air over your head crossing over your body. Keep your abs tight throughout the movement.
- You can also find a punching bag and began punching it for rounds of 30 seconds. The work involved with punching a punching bag repeatedly for 30 seconds will be a lot harder than you think.
- You’ll be breathing hard and your heart will be racing after a couple of rounds of 30 seconds of punching.
- Find Battling Ropes that you can anchor to the wall so you can move them up and down rapidly. Although there are many gyms that don’t have Battling Ropes there are more and more today getting them.
- My favorite way of using the Battling Ropes is to alternate your arms and to do both together at the same time. Make sure your knees are slightly bent throughout the movement. Bring the ropes from above your shoulder to down by your knee each time.
Clean and Press
- Find either a barbell or pair of dumbbells you can use for this exercise that burns belly fat. Start with the bar or dumbbells at your hips and begin to lower it until it reaches right above your knees.
- Make sure you’re keeping your back flat throughout the movement. Once it reaches the top your knees explode back up by shooting your hips forward. Raise your elbows up as the bar or dumbbells reach your shoulder.
- Then go ahead and flip your elbows underneath them to catch them. Next press them over your head. Lower them back down slowly to the starting position and repeat the exercise.
- Hold a kettlebell from the handles and you can use a heavy dumbbell from the sides. Place a big medicine ball or a small box right behind you as a marker for how deep you should squat.
- Keeping your chest high begin to lower your hips towards the ground in a squatting movement. Once your hips touch the box or medicine ball begin to stand back up. As you stand back up press the kettlebell or dumbbell over your head. Then lower it back down to your chest before starting the exercise again.
Cross Body Mountain Climbers
- Start off in the pushup position keeping your back straight and your abs tight like somebody is going to kick you in the stomach.
- Begin to bring your right knee towards your left elbow. Then rapidly bring it back to the starting position.
- As soon as it reaches the floor immediately move your left knee towards your right elbow. Keep repeating rapidly.
What is the best exercise for losing belly fat?
The best of all the exercises you can do to lose belly fat is one that will get your heart rate cranking, uses many muscle groups in your body, and is high intensity. Many of the exercises you will find here will help to burn off the belly flab but my favorites are burpees and Manmakers.
How do you burn belly fat fast?
If you looking to burn belly fat fast then you’ll really have to hammer down your diet as well as doing the exercises you’ll find here. If you’re eating too many junk foods and too many junk calories then there’s nothing you can do to get rid of your belly fat. But when you start cutting down how many calories you eat plus doing the exercise above then you will be quickly on your way to burning your belly fat.
The Last Word
There is definitely no real-time you’ll know for sure when you’ll get rid of your hanging belly fat. It’s without a doubt the most stubborn and troublesome area to finally get rid of.
Spot reduction exercises aren’t very effective for burning your belly fat. Losing weight by doing a cardio workout is better than nothing but it’ll be tough to get rid of your stubborn belly fat. You’ll need High-Intensity Interval Training with full-body movements instead.
You’ll need to follow a proper nutrition plan such as the one in my Flat Belly Formula System. It contains the nutritional blueprint for losing those last stubborn pounds of fat on your belly.
You will need to stay consistent with the exercises above to make sure you get the results you want. It can be hard to get rid of your stubborn belly fat overnight. You didn’t get into this place overnight.
Don’t be afraid to put the work in and have a little patience as you trust the process. Sooner than later you’ll finally burn off your belly fat for good.
Following a proven diet along with the above exercises will give you the flat stomach you want.
Josh holds a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Science. He’s a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He’s worked as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the high school and college level. He has over 10 years experience as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. He is also the author of The Flat Belly Formula. He hopes to be able to bring inspiration & results to people all over the world to live a healthier life through diet & exercise.