Looking for the best home exercise equipment for weight loss?
Just because you don’t have a gym membership doesn’t mean you can’t still lose weight at home with the right exercise equipment. There are quite a few advantages to working out at home such as a short commute and you don’t have to pay ongoing gym membership fees.
Now gyms do have their advantages. But with the right home exercise tools, you can get the same if not better results right in the comfort of your own home. But most people don’t have a clue about what they should get for their home gyms. Many just end up buying an expensive elliptical that just sits in the corner unused collecting dust.
As a trainer, below is the fitness equipment I would personally want in my own home gym if I was trying to lose weight. You can do a lot of impressive exercises and workouts with the tools below. This exercise equipment will help you lose weight 10X’s faster than you would be strolling on an elliptical.
I know it can be confusing to know what is the best home exercise equipment but here I’m going to show you what I’d get to build out a home gym if your goal is weight loss.
Best Equipment for Weight Loss
Now, most think just having a treadmill, rowing machine, bike or elliptical machines will be all they need to workout at home and lose weight. But unfortunately, these machines can only do so much and in the end, it’s way too easy to get bored from using them.
I have had a lot of clients with their own in-home gyms that had these cardio machines but were rarely ever even used. Jogging on a treadmill and strolling on an elliptical can easily get very boring after a little while which will make it less appealing to keep doing. Then what will be the point of even buying that expensive cardio machine in the first place if it’s not even getting used…
With the home exercise equipment below you’ll be able to do an infinite amount more of workouts and exercises. This will not only help to keep things fresh but it’ll also get you better weight loss results. The problem with traditional cardio machines is they stop challenging your body. Your body is built to adapt to whatever exercise you throw at it consistently. So unless you’re mixing things up your results will end up plateauing.
This is why the below is the best home exercise equipment if you’re goal is weight loss.
TRX Suspension Trainer
This is my favorite piece of exercise equipment that I’ve been using since I first saw it in the mid-2000s. As a trainer, if I could only have 1 piece of home exercise equipment this would easily be it. You can do so many different exercises and workouts with it plus you can literally bundle it up and take it anywhere. So if you’re traveling or want to go outside to workout then the TRX is the answer. Plus the TRX uses a ton of your muscle groups to do these exercises so your body will be constantly challenged therefore helping you lose weight. You can workout both upper and lower body way better than machines plus you’ll burn more calories.
I know most people will drive down to their nearest Target or Wal-mart to pick up a pair of 8-lb dumbbells but to be honest these are way better. You can adjust the weight of them so you’ll be able to better challenge your body based on the particular exercise you’re doing. Plus in the long run, it’ll save you time and money that you’d have to spend constantly buying new dumbbells as you progress. I know they look kinda funny but they’re very versatile in their functionality.
- Pair of adjustable dumbbell weights for efficient, cost-effective strength training
- Adjusts from 3 to 24 pounds in 3-pound increments (3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24 pounds)
- Selector pin lets you change weights easily, just like with weight stack at the gym
- More compact and balanced than traditional dumbbells; padded handle for wrist protection. Welded solid steel construction. Powder-coated finish
- Offers maximum weight of 24 pounds per hand; limited 10-year warranty
Pull-ups are without a doubt one of the single best exercises you can do if you want to lose weight and build lean muscle. I personally keep one of these attached at all times around the house so I can throw in some pull-ups every day. Most people just do push-ups all day long but this can make you more chest dominate. Pushups need to be balanced out with pull-ups otherwise you’ll get round shoulders and postural problems. If you’re not able to do pull-ups yet then you can also check out the pull-up bar below too…
- Portable gym that can be used as a doorway pull up bar or turned over to perform sit-ups, pushups, and dips; 300-pound weight capacity
- Wide grip curved ergonomic handles offer three grip options for wide, close, and hammer grip pull-ups; padded handles ensure comfort for sit-ups, pushups, and dips
- Turn over and place on the floor for sit-ups, pushups and dips; padded handles ensure correct form, and provide comfort
- Patented door frame guard and two-way adjustable design; fits door frames up to 33 inches wide and up to 6 inches deep
- Assembled dimensions: 15 x 38 x 14 inches, weight: 6.2 pounds; manufacturer's one-year warranty
Another essential piece of home exercise equipment is kettlebells. The best thing about them is you don’t have to buy a ton to get the job done. You really just need one to start out with then you can pick up some more as you progress. You can do a ton of different exercises for weight loss with them such as swings, goblet squats, snatches, etc. I’d start out with around a 20-30 lb. kettlebell if you’re a beginner just getting started.
I’ve been using Bosu balls for quite a few years now and I’m still learning new exercises for it. Whenever I’m training a client in the gym or in their home I’ll always bust out the Bosu ball. You can do a lot of exercises for weight loss on them such as 1-legged Bulgarian lunges, squats, burpees, mountain climbers and more.
- PROVEN: BOSU Balance Trainer provides cardio, muscular strength, flexibility and endurance training in unique, challenging and highly effective workouts. Downloadable workouts are developed by industry professionals to improve overall fitness and health
- IMPROVE YOUR HEALTH: Challenging and fun, the BOSU Balance Trainer gives a whole new meaning to "moving with control" as you work out on an unstable, dynamic surface
- INCLUDED: BOSU Balance Trainer, Downloadable Owner's manual, and hand pump
- BUILT TO LAST: The BOSU Balance Trainer has been tested to last 10x the leading generic balance trainer. Maximum User Weight: 300 lbs
No home gym would be complete without an adjustable bench. You can use this adjustable bench to do essential exercises such as shoulder presses, bench press, 1-arm rows, etc. Try to get one that goes up to 90 degrees. And adjustable bench can also double as a “box” that you use to do step-ups and jumps on too.
- Included Components: Bench, manual
- Sport Type: Fitness & Yoga
The Swiss ball is another essential piece of fitness device that you can use for a lot of core exercises. You can do crunches, planks, incline presses and a lot more on. I’ll always have one inflated around the house and it can even double as a chair you can work at home from.
- Safe, heavy-duty, slow-deflate quality Xercise Balls
- Durable enough to withstand diverse training applications in any club environment
- Slow-deflate up to 500 lbs.
- 7P Free
- Suggested height-5'8"-6'3"
If you have carpet in your home then using these Val Slides can offer you some unique exercises. I mostly use them for mountain climbers, body saws and 1-legged reverse lunges. You just put your feet on top of them and they glide easily over the carpet. You’ll get more core muscle recruitment and muscle activation by using the Val Slides.
- Turns carpet, tile and linoleum floors into an unstable training surface
- Lightweight and Portable
- Targets multiple body parts such as your legs, inner thighs, and butt all at the same time
- Includes: (2) ValSlide discs, (1) mesh carry bag, (1)Valslide Exercise Sheet
- Use them to stretch and tone your shoulders, chest and backTargets multiple body parts such as your legs, inner thighs, and butt all at the same time
These Super Bands are fantastic because they take up such a tiny amount of space but you can do a ton of exercises with them. Whenever I’m traveling I’ll toss a band in my suitcase to use in my hotel room. If you have trouble doing pull-ups you can wrap it around your knee for assistance. I like using them to do squat presses, rapid curls, overhead tricep extensions.
- - Thick, extra strong and ideal for heavy duty use
- - Works the lower leg muscles
- - Provides resistance for walks, shuffles and lunges
- - Helps to prevent and rehabilitate sprained ankles
- - Great for assisted pull-ups/chin-ups
Jump ropes are single handily the best piece of “cardio machines” you’re going to find. I’d recommend buying this over an elliptical or a rowing machine every day of the week. If you’re having trouble losing weight then I guarantee you just a few minutes of jumping rope will have your heart rate cranked up. I like to mix in the jump rope with another exercise this way you can keep your heart rate elevated will still doing pushups, pull-ups, etc. It’s the best way to burn calories and workout your lower body. If your goal is to burn more calories then simply jumping rope is your best bet.
- Best aerobic exercises for burning a lot of Calorie, slimming down, improving flexibility, developing core strength and good for heart, lower-impact activity than jogging.
- 9'8" Easy Adjustable Rope, Comforable Foam Grips. Appropriate for all ages, kids women men
- Swing smoothly with less effort, uncoil easily and resist tangling.
- Premium quality, durable jump rope, exclusive designed for fitness and sports lovers.
- 100% Money Back Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty - If you aren't satisfied with our product, just let me know, we'll give you a full refund. If our product break for any reason, just contact us, we'll send a replacement to you. A very reasonable price and lifetime warranty.
Now, this is a unique piece of an exercise tool because it’ll allow you to do a few movements that you normally couldn’t do at home. Inverted rows and dips are the two big ones here. Without these Dip Bars, it would otherwise be particularly difficult to do them. For some of my clients who aren’t able to perform pull-ups yet, I’ll have them do more rows on these instead. It’s still quite challenging and you can do some great bodyweight movements on them.
- 💪【Powerful & Solid】Dip stands made of heavy duty steel and supports to 300LBS, durable steel construction provides safety assurance during exercise.
- 💪【Connecting Rod】4 holes each sides for adjustable with pull knob, just pull the knob a little bit, you can move the rod, then adjust the holes you want.
- 💪【Adjustable Foot Strap】Different face of the foot cover thickness is different, you can adjust it at any time to fit the ground and prevent it from shaking.
- 💪【Adjustable Height】Height is 31.11-35.04 inch, you can adjust it based on yourself. Perfect for bar exercises, dips, pull ups, push ups, leg raise, bench press and more, works arms, chest, back and muscles.
- 💪【Customer Service】ONE-YEAR WARRANTY on main frame, LIFE WARRANTY on all other vulnerable part. If you have any question, please feel free to contact us through E-mail.
I can get a little hesitant to recommend these because I don’t want to deter people from doing pushups if they don’t have them. In my experience, they make doing pushups A LOT easier on your shoulders and elbows. If you do a ton of pushups just using your hands then over time I’ve noticed people tend to get shoulder and elbow problems. Since these rotate as you push yourself up and down it takes tension off these joints which is best in the long run. I use mine all the time and with clients.
- Pushup stand Designed to rotate slightly, engaging more muscles and increasing strength and definition in arms, shoulders, chest, back and abs
- Ergonomic grips help distribute weight evenly, reducing pressure points and joint strain on wrists and elbows
- Built to last construction with smooth rotation and steel ball bearing system; Treads on bottom of handles Securely grip all floor surfaces
- Weight Vest Ready, 400 Pound weight Capacity; also called the Perfect V2 Pushup
- Dimensions: 10 inches x 8.25 inches x 6.2 inches; weight: 4 pounds
I like to use medicine balls when I’m working out and training since it can offer some unique exercises that involve recruiting muscles you’d otherwise wouldn’t use. They’re especially great if you have an area where you can slam them on the ground for explosive training. But if you don’t you can still use them for a lot of exercises such as walking lunges, Russian twists, and more.
- 8-pound ball for upper- and lower-body exercises
- Ideal for classic medicine ball workouts
- Helps develop core strength, balance, and coordination
- Sturdy rubber construction; can bounce off hard surfaces
- Textured finish provides a superior grip
No I think it’s safe to say that no home gym would be complete without an exercise mat. It’s a lot more comfortable than laying on the ground to do your sit-ups and crunches. This is the exercise mat I personally use and prefer. It’s a lot more comfortable, doesn’t make you slip and easily cleaned.
- PRO EXERCISE MAT: Professional grade fitness mats are perfect for all floor based exercises and routines
- TEXTURED NON-SLIP SURFACE: Fitness mats feature a textured non-slip surface that provides extra traction and support with every movement
- GREAT FOR GYMS & CLUBS: Exercise mats can be stored flat or rolled up in any workout environment to save space where needed
- QUALITY EXERCISE MAT: Built to a professional grade quality and designed for commercial gyms and clubs to be used 100 times a day versus 100 times a year in a home gym
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE SIZES: Available in a variety of lengths to accommodate partial - or full-body activities, and for all body types (55-Inch or 71-Inch Length)
Now battling ropes are what I like to call “unnecessarily awesome.” You can get some great upper body cardio from using them but the only thing is you’re going to need the space for them. But if you do have room then the battling ropes can give you some exercises and challenge your body in ways you couldn’t otherwise. Plus they’re a ton of fun and a great way to mix things up.
- ★ BONUS #1 - FOLDABLE WORKOUT POSTER: Train the right way with this Step-by-Step illustrated guide that explains each routine from Start to Finish. Designed by real trainers, it shows the absolute best 30 exercises to get Fast and Efficient results. Never run out of training ideas again!
- ★ BONUS #2 - ANCHOR STRAP SET & PROTECTIVE SLEEVE: Don't spend money to protect your Battlerope from friction or fraying. Extend its life by connecting the anchor strap to fixed or weighted points
- ★ STRONG AND LEAN IN JUST 20 MINUTES. Combat Ropes will get you in the best shape of your life. It's an explosive FULL-BODY WORKOUT to make you Gain Muscle, Improve Cardio, and Burn Fat. Challenge your Upper, Core, and Lower Body simultaneously in shorter excersize sessions
- ★ GREAT FOR ANY FITNESS LEVEL: Conditioning Ropes are intense but can be used safely by men and women of all levels. Longer and thicker ropes have more weight and therefore provide more powerful work out. Available in 30 40 or 50 Ft
- ★ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - We've engineered our FireBreather Battle Ropes with the Absolute toughest Poly Dacron. If you're not thrilled just return it for a full refund
Which exercise machine is the best for losing belly fat?
To be honest I know most people would think first of a treadmill, elliptical, bike or rowing machine but in those only end up giving you lackluster results. They can easily get boring really fast to the point you won’t even want to use them anymore. This is why I’d recommend picking up some of the above home exercise tool so you can challenge your body in better ways. It’ll make losing weight more interesting, keep your results from plateauing and you’ll recruit more muscles which helps with weight loss.
Which workout equipment is the most effective?
The best piece of home gym equipment for weight loss is going to be the one that gets your heart rate up the best and challenges your muscles. And here’s the caveat… it’s also the one you’re going to end up using. I can’t tell you how many people I’ve met who buy elliptical machines but only end up using it a handful of times. It’s best to buy some of the home workout devices above that way you can get your heart rate cranked up fast, burn calories, recruit more muscles, challenge and confuse your body and keep things interesting so you don’t get bored and give up.
The Last Word
At the end of the day, you’re not going to need to spend a ton of money on cardio machines that really won’t give you the best results. Sure it’s great if you already have them or it’s not a big deal to add them to your home gym…
But if you’re just starting out then there are better pieces of home exercise equipment to burn calories if you want to lose weight better than an expensive cardio machine. The truth is your weight loss will depend on how consistent you are and how efficiently your body is challenged.
And the home exercise devices above is going to be your best bet. These are the same weight loss tools I recommend to my clients who ask me to help set up their home gyms.
And if they don’t have it then I usually end up carrying it to them to use during our training sessions. So, in the end, you don’t have to buy an expensive cardio machine to lose weight you just have to buy the best home exercise equipment.
Josh holds a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Science. He’s a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He’s worked as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the high school and college level. He has over 10 years experience as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. He is also the author of The Flat Belly Formula. He hopes to be able to bring inspiration & results to people all over the world to live a healthier life through diet & exercise.