If you’re looking for the best exercises to lose thigh fat fast and you come to the right place.
It can be incredibly frustrating trying to get rid of your thigh fat, but the exercises you will find below will help you get rid of them. Many out there will tell you spot reduction is a total myth and doesn’t work. They’re not 100% wrong but they’re not all right too.
The keys to getting rid of your thigh fat is to also lose your body fat while using the exercises below to tone and slim down your thighs. Not only do you still need weight loss but you also need to lower your body fat percentage to slim down your thighs.
Women naturally tend to hold more body fat in their thighs than other places on their body. This also makes it the most stubborn and the last place they lose it. Hormones and genetics can give women the pear-shaped body making it frustrating to get rid of their hip and thigh fat.
The good news is you can overcome your genetics and hormones despite what anybody says. You’ll still be able to drop body mass in your legs even though nothing is currently working for you. I’m sure you’ll agree it can be incredibly frustrating wanting to get rid of your thigh fat without much to show for.
You can get rid of your thigh fat despite genetics and hormones so you can fit into your skinny jeans. I’ll show you the 10 best exercises to get rid of thigh fat fast so you can get quick results now.
How To Lose Thigh Fat In A Week
Do you hate your thunder thighs and tree trunk legs?
No woman or man today likes having big thighs and hips. It’s not attractive but they served a purpose for your caveman ancestors. Don’t worry though you can still sculpt and tone up your thighs no matter where you’re at today.
Sometimes it can feel like you’re stuck with your big thighs no matter what you do even though you want them slimmed down. The reason you have big thighs in the first place is your body stores fat in a form of future energy.
The female body is designed for pregnancy, giving birth and nurturing children. According to the Scientific Daily all the above need a woman to have energy stores otherwise things to go disastrously wrong (1).
Your cavewomen ancestors might not survive for very long and neither her children if not for energy stores. Women with bigger thighs were able to live longer and had higher chances of their children surviving. This resulted in the passing on of the genetics for a pear-shaped body.
But sometimes it you feel like you can feed 4 small children with the fat on your thighs!
According to Scientific American the fat rate of pubescent girls is double that of boys. The researchers found the fat went mostly to the hips and thighs. They attributed it mostly to hormonal changes (2).
This study found women tend to lose body fat first in their upper body before the lower body (3). This makes it all the more frustrating when you start to lose weight but don’t see much results in your thighs.
Go here if you’re looking for a way on how to get rid of hip dips.
You Can Get Rid of the Thigh Fat
Every Tom, Dick and Harry keyboard trainer on the Internet will be quick to tell you that spot reduction is a total myth and doesn’t work. This isn’t the whole truth.
Some older studies did find spot reducing exercises didn’t work to target fat burning on the participants. This 1983 study found doing sit-ups didn’t do anything to target abdominal fat in the participants (4). And even in this 2013 study researchers found training one leg and not training the other didn’t result in fat loss in the train leg (5).
But in both studies the participants were overweight and they didn’t account for the total fat loss that was also happening in the body. Usually, when you’re really overweight you’ll lose visceral fat first before you start losing targeted fat. Spot lipolysis is definitely real and can help you lose your thigh fat fast.
This study found you can burn body fat in the fat regions near an active muscle than in those muscles far away from the area your training (6). Researchers theorize this because of increased temperature and blood flow near the muscles you’re exercising. This may result in an increased delivery of fat burning hormones that can help to slim and tone certain body parts.
In this newest study researchers found lower body strength training resulted in more fat loss in the lower body than the upper body (7). So if anybody’s quick to tell you spot reduction is a total myth then be sure to reference these studies and let them know it may be possible in one way or another.
How to Get a Thigh Gap
You may have seen on Instagram or the internet women trying to achieve the thigh gap. The thigh gap is when you’re standing up straight and your thighs are so skinny that there is no touching of your legs.
How do you lose thigh fat without gaining muscle?
To get a thigh gap you clearly have to make your thighs skinnier. But if you don’t have the right genetics then it will most likely be near impossible for you to achieve it.
If you become skinny fast through weight loss you might still hold onto fat in your hips and thighs. Especially if you’re a woman with the hormones and genetics to promote fat storage in your thighs. If you need to know how to get rid of hip dips then check this out too.
Just because you’re losing weight, eating healthy and becoming more fit doesn’t mean you’ll get rid of your thigh and belly fat.
Your bone structure will largely determine whether you are able to achieve a thigh gap. You need to have naturally wide hips to achieve the look. Although if you don’t have naturally wide hips then I wouldn’t focus much time on it. You can still lose fat and tone up your thighs regardless.
If you don’t have the bone structure to get a thigh gap then is going to be near impossible to get it. The good news is you can still fit into skinny jeans and won’t have your thighs chaffing once you slim them down.
But you need to keep working to get rid of that last lab of thigh fat forever. Women tend to gain thigh fat first and it’s usually the last to leave. Which is why they call it the stubborn fat!
Check this out if you want exercises to get rid of saddlebag fat (the fat on the outer part of your upper thighs).
Best Exercises To Lose Leg Fat
Most people will first try using the leg press machine to lose their thigh fat. But the leg press machine is more designed to gain muscle and strength rather than slim your thighs. You need bigger movements that work multiple muscle groups like squats and lunges to tone and shape your thighs.
The more you use your total body the better the exercise is going to be. These type of exercises will work deeper and more overall muscles than just using a machine. Don’t worry about using these exercises and gaining big bulky thigh muscles.
Doing the exercises below will help to give you smaller and slimmer thighs without the big muscles. Unless you’re lifting heavy weights and eating a lot then you shouldn’t worry about gaining bulky amounts of muscle mass on your thighs.
If you’re just losing body weight through cutting your calories then you’re most likely going to end up skinny fat. This is why it’s so important to use these toning exercises to keep cellulite on your thighs away as well. Give the below exercises a try if trying to lose your thigh fat is making you go crazy.
To get rid of your thigh fat with exercise you’re going to need to crank up the intensity. Interval training combined with these leg exercises will be effective for getting results.
Try adding in cardio exercises during the workout or at least after doing these exercises. Something like a stairmaster stepmill will be effectively. You’ll also be working your thigh muscles when doing the stairmaster stepmill.
You need to create a caloric deficit and burn off a lot of total calories to really see progress in getting rid of your hip and thigh fat. Depending on your weight loss goals you’re going to want to improve your eating habits. Drinking water is crucial to staying hydrated and keeping your energy levels up. Switching out white rice for leafy greens will do wonders for slimming down your thighs.
Check this out for more ways on how to get rid of thigh fat.
11 Exercises to Lose Thigh Fat Fast
1-Legged Hip Bridges
- Lay on your back with your palms out to your side and your knees bent with your toes pointing up towards the ceiling.
- Leg lift your foot in the air while keeping your heel firmly on the ground.
- Slowly begin to lift your hip off the ground by pushing your heel through the floor.
- When your hips reach the highest position pause for a second before slowly lowering your hips back down towards the ground. Be sure to repeat on the other side.
- Grab a step or you can use the stairs and then place it behind you.
- Take a big step back with your left leg until it’s now resting on top of that step.
- Slowly began to lower knee of your left leg towards the ground while bending the knee that’s also in front.
- Stop before the knee of your left leg hits the ground with a slight pause at the bottom before coming back up to the starting position. Be sure to keep a slow tempo throughout this movement and switch to the right leg.
- Hold a pair of dumbbells at your side in the standing position.
- Take a big step out to your side and lower your hips towards the floor by bending your outer knee.
- Keep your other leg straight as you begin to lower your hips down towards the floor.
- Then stand back up and move back to your starting position before repeating onto the other side.
- Get in the standing position and then jump out to your side.
- Land on your outside foot and allow your other leg to sweep behind your planted foot.
- Then use your moving leg to jump back in the other direction as you repeat on the other side.
- Keep jumping side to side in this movement throughout the exercise.
- Get in the standing position with your feet hip to shoulder width apart then bend your knees until you’re in the squat position.
- Then just like you would a jumping Jack move your legs out to the side and your arms to the top at the same time.
- Be sure to keep your chest up and your hips low throughout this movement and try not to bend forward too much.
- If your knees hurt while doing this exercise then it’s wise to skip it.
- Hold one heavy dumbbell or kettlebell at your chest in the standing position ( or you can even hold to dumbbells together).
- Keep your abs tight and stand with your feet hip width apart with your chest sticking out.
- Slowly begin to lower your hips down towards the ground and imagine you’re taking a seat on a chair that’s behind you.
- Try to get your knees down to a 90 degree angle but do not to let your knees go much over your toes for this movement.
- Try to get your thighs at least down to parallel to the floor in the squat position before slowly coming back up to the starting position.
- Find a step that’s about knee height or you can also use a sturdy chair for this exercise.
- Place your foot on top of the steps and the other one left on the ground.
- Use the leg that is on top of the step to push yourself up into the air.
- While you’re in the air switch legs so now your bottom foot will come down onto the step while your top foot is now coming down towards the ground. Keep repeating throughout the movement.
- Find a step that’s about knee height or you can use a sturdy chair for this exercise.
- Hold up her dumbbells at your side or you can also hold them together at your chest.
- Place 1 foot on top of the step with the other one resting on the bottom.
- Use your top leg to lift yourself up so you’re now standing on top of the step.
- After a slight pause at the top slowly begin to lower your legs until both are on the bottom. Then switch and use your other foot to step up onto the step.
- Take a big wide stance with your toes pointing slightly outwards. You can hold a pair of dumbbells in between your legs for this exercise to make it harder.
- Keep your chest up as you slowly begin to lower your hips down towards the ground by imagining there’s a chair behind you that you’re going to sit on.
- Once your thighs reach the parallel position to the floor you can begin to slowly come back up to the starting position after a slight pause at the bottom.
- For this exercise all you have to do is have you back up against the wall and slide down until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Make sure your feet are far enough out in front of you that your heels are underneath your knees. Hold this position.
How can I lose weight from my thighs?
If you’re having trouble losing body weight from your thighs then really going to have to focus on dieting down so you can slim down throughout your body (including your thighs). Then you can add in high intensity cardio to get your heart rate up. Combine that with specific exercises to target your thigh fat too. Just use the exercises above to work on getting ready your thigh fat combined with solid diet.
What exercise machine is best for losing thigh fat?
There really isn’t a specific exercise machine that you will find at the gym that’ll help you lose your thigh fat. But instead use some of the full-body exercises above combined with high intense cardio exercise to help to better target the fat on your thighs as opposed to any machine you’ll find at the gym.
The Last Word
Now that you know the best exercises to get rid of thigh fat fast it’s time to put them to work. Spot reduction isn’t a total myth and it can actually be done when doing the right kind of exercises. You’ll get the best results when you’re using the exercises above along with intense cardio and a caloric deficit.
For a complete fat burning and weight loss program so you can slim your body and thighs fast check out The Flat Belly Formula system. You can use this program to get results regardless of your fitness level.
You can definitely tone your thighs despite your hormones and genetics or wherever you’re currently at. Stubborn inner thighs can also tone up using similar exercises. It can be done quicker than you think but it might still require some patience but in the end, it will be worth it.
Hopefully you now you know how to lose thigh fat fast it’ll only be a short matter of time before you get the results you want and fit into your skinny jeans.
Josh holds a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Science. He’s a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association and he’s a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) by American Council on Exercise. He’s worked as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the high school and college levels. He has over 15 years of experience as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. He is also the author of The Flat Belly Formula. He strives to bring inspiration and results for people to live healthier lives through smart diet and exercise.