If you’re looking to slim down your muffin top then try using the best exercises for love handles.
Let’s be honest there’s not a whole lot to love about love handles.
You might be making some great progress with your weight but it can be hard to get rid of your love handles. You might not even be that overweight, but your stubborn love handles feel like they’re the last to go.
Love handles (also known as the muffin top and spare tire) can be really unflattering and embarrassing to have.
To get rid of your love handles you’ll need to reduce your overall body fat. Then you can use these specific exercises to target and tone your love handles.
Some out there will tell you doing oblique exercises will make your love handles bulge but this is not true.
I’m sure you’ll agree having big love handles is the last thing you want to have on your waist. But by doing these exercises you’ll find below you’ll be able to lose your love handles faster than you think.
Here you will find the best exercises you can use to target and get rid of your love handles so you can slim them away fast.
How To Lose Love Handles with Exercise
If you have fat on your love handles or lower back fat then there’s a good chance your hormones are affecting where your body stores fat.
It’s most likely genetic and hormonal if everything you seem to eat makes its way directly to your love handles.
Insulin resistance is a big reason why many people have a lot of fat on their love handles. It’s also the big reason why they can’t seem to ever get rid of them.
Cortisol and insulin are the main hormones causing people to not only gain belly fat but also hold onto stubborn love handle fat.
Studies have found men tend to carry more belly fat while women carry it more in their hips and thighs. But depending on your genetics and hormones you could also be storing excess fat on your love handles.
Cortisol is also known as the stress hormone in your body. When high levels of cortisol are pumping through your body it can increase fat storage around your belly.(1)
If you’re feeling stressed out it can cause you to eat more worsening the problem.
Insulin is a hormone in your body that allows sugar to enter cells. After you eat something sugary your body will release insulin in response to the spike in blood sugar.
Insulin will then allow the sugar to enter your bloodstream so you can lower the blood sugar in your body. Eventually, your body can build up the resistance to the insulin. This will make it increasingly more difficult for the sugar to enter your cells.
This energy in the form of sugar and your cells will be stored as fat if not used. And the worst part is will usually be stored in your belly and love handles.
How To Get Rid Of Your Love Handle Fat
You’re going to have to reduce overall body fat percentage to get rid of your love handles. Then you can use the targeted exercises below to lose your love handles and stubborn lower back fat.
The best thing to do is to cut out sugar from your diet as it’s been proven to reduce belly fat.
Make sure you get more fiber in your diet as well. This study found increasing your soluble fiber intake by 10 g per day help to lose almost 4% of visceral belly fat.
Try to be more active in your lifestyle too. This study found every 15 minutes you’re sedentary can lead to 0.05″ increase in your waist circumference.
Try adding some weightlifting to your workout routine as well. This study found it’s better at reducing your weight and overall belly size than just doing cardio or strength training alone.
Try to increase your sleep if you want to lose your belly fat and love handles. This study found those who slept for only five hours per night had more belly fat than those sleeping for eight hours.
Add more protein to your diet to get rid of your lower back fat. This study found those eating a high-protein diet lost more belly fat than those eating a low-protein diet.
Last but not least make sure you reduce your alcohol drinking. This study found alcohol was linked to weight gain increases in body fat around the belly.
Workout To Get Rid Of Your Love Handles
You can use all these exercises together in a workout to get rid of your love handles.
I would first recommend picking out a handful of your favorites. Then try cycling through them 2-3 times after your regular workouts.
The bulk of your workout should be High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) and metabolic resistance training. These will give you the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to losing body fat and adding lean muscle to your body.
Then you should be able to add in these exercises for love handles to target your back fat. This will help to tone up your love handles when combined with the MRT and HIIT workouts.
Try to set a timer for 30 seconds per exercise. It’s a good idea to do these exercises in front of the mirror so you can check your form. Otherwise, your form could be off and you won’t get the best results from doing these exercises.
It’s always a good idea to mix up your workouts and add variety to these love handle exercises.
This will not only help to mix things up but will also keep challenging your body with the variation of exercises.
Exercise List for Waist and Love Handles
- Start off in the standing position while holding either dumbbell or medicine ball at your chest.
- Then slowly rotate towards one side your body while squatting at the same time.
- Reach down with the dumbbell or medicine ball to the outside of your ankle.
- Then stand back up and rotate as you come back up bringing the way across your body and extending over your head to the other side.
- Start off in the seated position with your knees together and leaning back with your chest out and shoulders back.
- Hold weight and bring it outside to side on the outside of your body.
- Make sure you try to keep your knee steady throughout the movement and to make things harder you can lift your feet up off the floor.
- Start off laying on your side with your elbow underneath your shoulder and 1 foot on top of the other.
- Raise your hips up off the ground and make a straight line with your body.
- Flex your glutes together and keep your abs tight throughout the movement.
- Slowly lower and raise your hips up towards the ground while keeping your body straight.
Cross-Body Mountain Climbers
- Start off in the push-up position with your hands on your shoulders and your feet together keeping your body straight.
- Quickly explode one knee up bringing it across your body towards her opposite arm.
- As you bring that same knee back to starting position simultaneously bring your other knee to meet the opposite elbow crossing your body.
Side Plank Reach Throughs
- Start off laying on your side with your elbow underneath your shoulder and 1 foot on top of the other.
- Lift your hips up off the ground so you are in a straight line with your body.
- Then with your top arm slowly reach underneath your body like you’re going to scratch her back.
- Slowly bring yourself back out into the starting position.
- Start off in the push-up position with your hands or if your shoulders and your feet together.
- Begin to lower your chest towards the ground as you doing up a sharp walk the same time bringing one knee to an elbow.
- Push yourself back up to the starting position and return your foot to. Then repeat on the other side.
- Start off in the plank position with your elbows on your shoulders, your body straight and your feet together.
- Slowly begin to rotate your body to one side while allowing your feet to rotate with your body too.
- Pause at the end before slowly bring yourself back to the center and then repeating on the other side.
- Lay on your side and put your feet together but with your bottom foot behind your top foot.
- Put your top elbow up with your hand behind the head.
- Then begin to crunch up words by bringing your elbow and your feet towards the sky.
- Squeeze your abs and love handles at the top before slowly lowering yourself back down towards the ground.
Crab Bridge Reach Overs
- Start off in the crab bridge position with your hands and feet on the floor and lift your hips off the ground.
- Begin to raise your hips up off the ground and then with one arm reach up and across your body.
- Allow your body to twist with your hand.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.
- For this exercise for love handles you’re going to need a band anchored about chest height away from you.
- Keep your arms out extended in front of your chest while holding the band.
- Then start to twist your body away from the anchoring point while keeping your abs tight.
- Then bring yourself back to the starting position and then repeating on the other side.
- Lay on an exercise ball with your upper back on it and your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- You can hold the weight such as a medicine ball or a dumbbell over the top you.
- Then slowly begin to rotate side to side by bringing the dumbbell to the side your body.
- Keep your website and when you reach the end bring it back up to the starting position before repeating on the other side.
- Place a band around an anchoring point about chest high away from you.
- Hold the band out with your arms extended away from you straight from your chest.
- Make sure there’s enough tension on the band for you to feel it when you extend your arms.
- Keep your appetite and body straight throughout this movement.
- Just bring the band back and forth away from your chest. Really try to fight the urge to push her body towards anchoring point.
- Start off in the push-up position with your hands in your shoulders and your feet together.
- Then begin to rotate to the side by bringing your outside leg underneath your body.
- At the end of the movement try to touch her hand opposite total.
- Then bring yourself back up to the special position and repeat on the other side.
Make sure when you’re doing these exercises for love handles you keep in mind you also need to reduce your overall body fat.
The best way to lose your overall body fat is through the proper diet and fat burning workouts.
Check out The Flat Belly Formula for the best way to lose stubborn body fat fast so you can get rid of your love handles quickly.
Then all you have to do is add in these exercises to target your love handles and low back fat.
You’ll be able to slim down your muffin top faster than you think as long as you’re doing the right stuff.
Now that you know the best exercises for love handles it’s time to put them into action so you can get rid of them fast and get the results you want.