Being a personal trainer in general usually means I’ll be spending a lot of time in the gym whether I like it or not.
And to be honest I don’t know everything and don’t think I know everything.
But sometimes I see people doing the dumbest or weirdest things imaginable.
These dumb things happen in just about every gym in America and if I’ve seen it then there’s a good chance you’ve seen it.
So I in this post we’re going to celebrate gym stupidity at it’s finest…
1. The Over-Functional Training Guy – this is the guy working out with on a Bosu ball while standing on 1-leg and doing biceps curls. He’s trying waaaay too hard and wasting his time as he jumps on 6 lined up Bosu balls. And the worst part is people who don’t know what they’re doing or are newbies to the gym watch this guy and start copying him because he’s never seen anybody else doing it.
2. The Person Wearing the 1980s Work Out Gear – This is more embarrassing to the person wearing the 80s gear than us who are the ones who somehow secretly know we’re living in the new century. Get with the times and stop shopping at the Salvation Army. Invest in so
me quality workout attire and everybody will thank you because of it.
3. The Guys Who Look At Themselves In The Mirror Every 15 Seconds – Probably the biggest cliche in the fitness industry are these giant ego guys who can’t help but look at the extra little growth they’re seeing from pumping a bunch of blood to their muscles. It also makes me want to shake my head when they tell me they’re on an Arginine supplement to get more blood pumping to their muscles.
4. The Perv Who Just Likes to Stare At Girls – Probably one of the biggest things that scares women off from going to the gym during the male dominated hours. Let’s be frank here, the gym caneasily become a meat market and we’ve all seen that guy who does one set of bench press and spends the rest of the time sitting around and staring at women. This guy needs to get a life and stop taking up space.
5. The People Who Never Work Out – You’ll see these people reading a magazine or newspaper while sipping a cup of coffee as they have absolutely zero training productivity. These people are here for the social scene and prefer not to break a sweat but instead talk the whole time and bother every body else.
6. I’m Not Hot But Dress Like I Think I Am – You’ve seen these people working out at the gym in the skimpiest clothes possible when they really shouldn’t be. They’ll wear a sports bra top and let their pot belly hang out for everyone to see. Not to mention the super tight spandex shorts they’ll be wearing so we can all see their chunky monkey.
7. I Walk Around Buck Naked In The Locker Room When They Really Shouldn’t Be – Yeah I said it! I saved the best for last. These are the people who are constantly walking around the locker room buck naked and don’t even bother to wear a towel. You do your best to not look but can’t help it sometimes, it grosses you out and makes you never want to shower at the gym again. You’ll also see these people brushing their teeth naked and blow drying their private parts right in front of you.
Well there it is, my list of the dumbest and weirdest things I see people doing in the gym. If I left anything out please leave a comment below and let us know what other crazy things you’re seeing in the gym too.
Josh holds a Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Physiology and Nutrition Science. He’s a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He’s worked as a Strength and Conditioning Coach at the high school and college level. He has over 10 years experience as a personal trainer and nutrition coach. He is also the author of The Flat Belly Formula. He hopes to be able to bring inspiration & results to people all over the world to live a healthier life through diet & exercise.