We’ve all seen those super lame acai berry ads claiming that they’re #1 on the world’s superfoods list to build immune system, but in all honestly that’s the biggest load of hogwash I’ve heard in a long while. It’s true that the acai berry is a pretty good antioxidant but it doesn’t carry much other health benefits besides that. And besides, most of the acai berry drinks on the market are loaded with sugars, which is going to cause more damage than anything.
In this blog post I’m going to share with you my top 10 superfoods list and it’s not going to be loaded with that acai berry trash, but real proven superfoods that will help build immune system strong. I’m a huge believer that you are what you eat and if you’re filling up your body with junk foods than you’re going to end up being sick more often than you want. And who really likes being sick?
I actually just got over this crazy stomach flu that’s going around and I didn’t get it NEARLY as bad as other people who are out for weeks with this virus. I knew to start loading up with healthy immune boosting foods, get plenty of rest and let my body fight the virus off.
Unfortunately, since most of us are of the type-A personalities that we’ll totally try to push through the virus even though we’re nearly on our deathbeds. But usually trying to workout and going through the daily stresses of life will actually only prolong the illness instead of making you healthier faster. I really try to tell my clients, boot camp members and workout partners to stay home and rest if they’re feeling sick or else they’ll just get everyone else sick and they’ll make things worse.
So if you’re feeling sick or have been sick start focusing on what you should be eating on the superfoods list so you can crank up your immune system and you’ll squash that little bug faster than 97% of people out there. Because to build a immune system that will annihilate any virus takes the strength to know when you have to back off your workouts and focus more on proper rest and nutrition.
My Top 10 Superfoods List to Build Immune System
- Turkey – When you’re sick it’s going to be a wise idea to start loading your body with lean sources of protein because it’ll provide your body with the necessary amount of amino acids that it needs to increase production of T cells so it can build immune system. And I prefer turkey over most other proteins because it’s loaded with glutamine, which is an amino acid that’s used by the white blood cells and other macrophages.
- Tea – Loading up with liquids while you sick is essential but if you really want to take your virus fighting to the next level I’d start drinking more tea. Researchers have found that just by drinking 20 oz. of tea daily can increase the interferon levels through your T cells. Meaning that the interferon will help provide a protective layer around your cells so it can help prevent you from becoming sicker or even sick in the first place. I personally like the anti-cancer tea by the Angiogenesis Foundation.
- Salmon – Salmon is probably my most favorite source of protein and adding those omega-3 essential fatty acids can do wonders against the omega-6 fatty acids that cause inflammation and destroy our immune system. We do need some omega-6 fatty acids but most of our society has WAY too many and we need to eat more foods that have omega-3 fatty acids in them to live healthier. I recommend eating salmon 2-3x’s per week.
- Pork Chops – Researchers have found by eating 6 oz. of pork chops daily you can help keep you muscle if you’re losing weight. Most of us will naturally lose weight while we’re sick so keeping our hard earned muscle is going to take some hard work and strategy. Pork chops are also loaded with selenium, which is a natural antioxidant that will fight off cancer-causing free radicals in the body.
- Mushrooms – Netherlands researchers have found that mushrooms will boost the immune system during the digestion process when the metabolites are broken down.
- Garlic – This may be hard to swallow but eating garlic raw is the best way to get it. Garlic is literally packed to the brim with immune boosting compounds and the only true way to get them is to eat them raw. The immune boosting compounds in garlic immediately start breaking down once you process it, but if you can’t stomach it raw then use it as much as you can in the meals you’re cooking.
- Almonds – The big immune booster that we’re going to take a look at in almonds is magnesium. Researchers have found that magnesium will build your immune system and strengthen your cells. I would just go with a handful daily of almonds as they’re really easy to over-eat.
- Vegetable Juice – If you don’t already have a juicer than I highly recommend going out and getting one. It’s probably the best way to get your vegetables and also the easiest. When I’m getting sick (or trying not to get sick) I’ll make a special blend of immune boosting veggies… raw garlic, cold water, carrots, red pepper, celery and I also mix in some flax seeds.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes – The main compound in baked sweet potatoes that’s going to build your immune system is the beta-carotene. And beta-carotene is going to help the macrophages in your body, which are basically large immune cells that destroy viruses and bacteria, and help kill your illness fast. You can also find beta-carotene in other superfoods such as carrots, kale, collard greens and spinach.
- Supplement – This may be kinda cheating to add to the superfoods list but it’s highly critical if you ask me. Here’s a list of the supplements that I immediately start taking in split doses throughout the day.
- Vitamin E
- Liquid echinacea
You also have to make sure that you’re getting enough water and allow your body to rest. Sometimes the best rest is just not stressing out your body. When you’re stressed out it’s going to take a toll on your body and your immune system so the best thing to do is just take a day or two off from living la vida loca and allow your body to recover.
I know that’s easier said than done but if by taking a couple days off and focusing on recovery will allow you to get over your sickness faster and get back on the right track a lot faster than if you kept going 100 mph. Now if you’re sick or don’t want to be sick start picking up some of my top 10 superfoods list so you can build immune system stronger than ever before.
P.S. – For more my 21 best fat loss secrets be sure to download my free report => Download my 21 Best Fat Burning Secrets Here